Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
|Technitium Bit Chat is a secure, peer-to-peer (p2p), open source instant messenger designed to provide end-to-end encryption. Primary aim of developing this instant messenger is to provide privacy which is achieved using strong cryptography. It can be used over Internet and private LAN networks for instant messaging and file transfer.The architecture is designed keeping in mind the security principle that everybody is secure or no one is. There is no meta data generated when you use Bit Chat. The only thing that we know, is the email address of the user who registered for a digital certificate. The digital certificate tells that the email address was verified, which is similar to, in concept, to any domain validated SSL certificates issued to websites.
- Works similar to a bit-torrent client so, no servers involved!
- No meta data is stored since even we don’t know to whom you are chatting with.
- Works as LAN chat just as it works on the Internet.
- Can work in private LAN networks not connected to Internet.
- Profile certificate signed with RSA-4096 and SHA-256 hash ensures identity of opposite peer.
- Provides end-to-end encryption with Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) using DHE-2048 or ECDHE-256.
- Protocol is secured with AES 256-bit encryption.
- Open source code allows you to inspect the implementation.